SPECTRUM CHORAL ACADEMY
Now in its 6th Season, Spectrum Choral Academy is a 55-voice community choir program for children, teens and college age singers with the purpose of inspiring young people through quality music education and performances. Weekly rehearsals are held on Saturdays from Sep-June in Gig Harbor, WA. We also offer summer camps and festivals throughout the year.
Spectrum Choral Academy offers three levels of vocal music instruction:
Grades K-5: Children's Chorus - Saturdays 10:30 AM - Noon
Our Elementary aged choir for kids who love to sing! No experience necessary – but all singers must be able to match pitch. Each Saturday includes Children’s Chorus rehearsal, music theory class and combined choirs rehearsal. Children’s Chorus singers participate in annual Christmas and Spring Concerts and the Fort Worden Children’s Choir Festival in May, learning about 20 new choir songs each year. 5th graders also attend our week-long Honor Choir Camp in Aug (included in tuition) in preparation to graduate to Youth Chorus.
Grades 6-12: Youth Chorus - Saturdays 9:00 AM - Noon
Our middle/high school choir for teens who have a passion for singing. No choral experience necessary, but singers must be able to match pitch and have a desire to improve their vocal/music theory skills within a team environment. Each Saturday includes advanced level warm-ups and Youth Chorus rehearsal, music theory class and combined rehearsal with Children’s Chorus. A high volume of challenging and rewarding repertoire is learned and memorized each season. Youth Chorus singers participate in annual Christmas and Spring Concerts, Fort Worden Children’s Choir Festival in May and our week-long Honor Choir Camp in Aug (included in tuition!).
Select Singers Highschool-College: Ensemble - Saturdays 9:00 AM - Noon & Monday evenings at Stephanie's House
This advanced level vocal ensemble is designed for our most dedicated and passionate HS/college musicians. Each Saturday, Ensemble singers rehearse as part of Youth Chorus – functioning as role models and section leaders, followed by participating in music theory classes (with adult singers working as theory teachers/rehearsal assistants), and combined choirs rehearsal. Weekday evening rehearsals are held at Stephanie’s house to work on Ensemble-only repertoire and special solos. Ensemble singers participate in every event, including our Honor Choir Camp and also work as staff for choir events including the Fort Worden Festival. Ensemble participation is by invitation of the director. Singers will receive invitations in August prior to each choir season starting. Current singers must remain in good standing to continue their involvement in Ensemble. Expectations: advanced musician, solo quality voice, entering 9th grade or above, 1 year minimum Spectrum Youth Chorus experience, role model behavior at all Spectrum events, advanced music theory/note reading/sight singing skills, good rehearsal & concert attendance. A limited number of singers will be selected for this ensemble.
Spectrum Rehearsals Include:
From traditional folk tunes to choral classics and Broadway favorites, we work on quality choral repertoire learning how to sing a beautiful unison up to multi-part harmony.
As part of music theory class, students create sounds and play rhythms using simple percussion instruments, drums and piano. We also regularly perform with a variety of professional instrumentalists.
Feel the music in your body. Students who make singing a whole body experience learn faster and retain what they learn.
Learn how to keep a steady beat and play different rhythms.
Discover how to use your voice in a healthy, enjoyable way.
Learn how to read notes follow a musical score with our unique "hands-on" music theory program.
Friends and Fun
Connect with with other young people who also have a passion for music! Singers who are involved in our program long-term create friendships that last a lifetime.
Studies show that young people who sing in choirs...
- Do better in their school studies, especially math.
- Develop personal confidence and overcome shyness.
- Tend to be healthier and are sick less often.
- Acquire improved abilities to speak and enunciate more clearly.
- Have better posture and body alignment.
- Learn to breathe properly.
- Make lasting and wholesome friendships.
Why choose Spectrum? Our choral program is unique when compared to other youth vocal and instrumental programs around the country. Here are a few reasons why:
- Only ONE rehearsal day per week and ALL singers attend rehearsal on the same day. This makes it convenient for families with multiple singers, builds community and provides mentorship between our oldest and youngest singers. It also keeps your evenings free during the week.
- We keep tuition as low as possible and it includes everything - rehearsals, overnight festivals, summer camp, music purchase (yes - you keep your music!) and two t-shirts. This is unusual...with other choral programs you would pay separately for each of these items throughout the year, music would only be rental and your basic tuition would still be comparable to ours.
- The complete season's schedule is provided prior to registration. Only singers who can make the full commitment will be able to join. This will provide more consistency throughout the year - and help families with scheduling by knowing performance dates far in advance to make it a priority.
- Each of our four major performances takes place in an incredible concert venue. Singing in a variety of quality acoustics is a great educational experience in itself. We have already secured some of the finest regional venues.
- We have an unique, intigrated "Hands-On" music theory program that teaches through interactive and imitative musical activities. We get young singers reading and comprehending their printed music scores. Advanced students focus on sight-singing, ear training, challenging rhythms and even composition, if they choose.
- All singers will be auditioned (don't worry - it is a very fun and friendly audition). This will ensure the level of musicianship remains high. We want to provide the ideal, encouraging environment to support serious vocal students.
- We are completely community-based and have no religious affiliation. We sing quality choral music in a wide variety of styles and languages including ethnic, folk, sacred, secular, classical, Broadway and popular.
- Spectrum rehearsals and concerts are conveniently scheduled on weekends to allow singers to participate from around the South Puget Sound Region. Our singers have come from the areas of: Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Poulsbo, Seabeck, Key Peninsula, Kitsap County, Pierce County, King County and Mason County.
July 31st - August 3rd , 2017 - New Singer Auditions
July 31st - August 3rd , 2017 - Spectrum Summer Sing Day Camp
August 6th - 12th , 2017 - Honor Choir Camp