SPECTRUM CHORAL ACADEMY
Now in its 5th Season, Spectrum Choral Academy is a 50-voice community choir program for children, teens and college age singers with the purpose of inspiring young people through quality music education and performances. Weekly rehearsals are held on Saturdays from Sep-June in Gig Harbor, WA. We also offer summer camps and festivals throughout the year.
Spectrum Choral Academy offers three levels of vocal music instruction:
Grades K-5: Children's Chorus - Saturdays 10:30 AM - Noon
Includes 30 min Children's Chorus rehearsal, 30 min theory class, 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together).
Grades 6-12: Youth Chorus - Saturdays 9:00 AM - Noon
Includes 1 1/2 hour rehearsal w/Ensemble, 30 min music theory, 30 min Youth Chorus rehearsal, 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together).
Select Singers Highschool-College: Ensemble - Saturdays 9:00 AM - Noon & Monday evenings at Stephanie's House
Includes 1 1/2 hour rehearsal w/Youth Chorus, 30 min music theory, 30 min mentor jobs (rehearsal assistant or theory teacher), 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together), 1 hour and 30 min Ensemble rehearsal. Spectrum Vocal Performance Ensemble functions as our choir "ambassadors" - making additional appearances at notable functions around the region. Examples: caroling at Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker or singing the national anthem at Rainier's or Mariner's ballgames. Ensemble singers also receive additional instruction at special rehearsals or voice lessons throughout the season as needed.
Spectrum Rehearsals Include:
From traditional folk tunes to choral classics and Broadway favorites, we work on quality choral repertoire learning how to sing a beautiful unison up to multi-part harmony.
As part of music theory class, students create sounds and play rhythms using simple percussion instruments, drums and piano. We also regularly perform with a variety of professional instrumentalists.
Feel the music in your body. Students who make singing a whole body experience learn faster and retain what they learn.
Learn how to keep a steady beat and play different rhythms.
Discover how to use your voice in a healthy, enjoyable way.
Learn how to read notes follow a musical score with our unique "hands-on" music theory program.
Friends and Fun
Connect with with other young people who also have a passion for music! Singers who are involved in our program long-term create friendships that last a lifetime.
Studies show that young people who sing in choirs...
- Do better in their school studies, especially math.
- Develop personal confidence and overcome shyness.
- Tend to be healthier and are sick less often.
- Acquire improved abilities to speak and enunciate more clearly.
- Have better posture and body alignment.
- Learn to breathe properly.
- Make lasting and wholesome friendships.
Why choose Spectrum? Our choral program is unique when compared to other youth vocal and instrumental programs around the country. Here are a few reasons why:
- Only ONE rehearsal day per week and ALL singers attend rehearsal on the same day. This makes it convenient for families with multiple singers, builds community and provides mentorship between our oldest and youngest singers. It also keeps your evenings free during the week.
- We keep tuition as low as possible and it includes everything - rehearsals, overnight festivals, summer camp, music purchase (yes - you keep your music!) and two t-shirts. This is unusual...with other choral programs you would pay separately for each of these items throughout the year, music would only be rental and your basic tuition would still be comparable to ours.
- The complete season's schedule is provided prior to registration. Only singers who can make the full commitment will be able to join. This will provide more consistency throughout the year - and help families with scheduling by knowing performance dates far in advance to make it a priority.
- Each of our four major performances takes place in an incredible concert venue. Singing in a variety of quality acoustics is a great educational experience in itself. We have already secured some of the finest regional venues.
- We have an unique, intigrated "Hands-On" music theory program that teaches through interactive and imitative musical activities. We get young singers reading and comprehending their printed music scores. Advanced students focus on sight-singing, ear training, challenging rhythms and even composition, if they choose.
- All singers will be auditioned (don't worry - it is a very fun and friendly audition). This will ensure the level of musicianship remains high. We want to provide the ideal, encouraging environment to support serious vocal students.
- We are completely community-based and have no religious affiliation. We sing quality choral music in a wide variety of styles and languages including ethnic, folk, sacred, secular, classical, Broadway and popular.
- Spectrum rehearsals and concerts are conveniently scheduled on weekends to allow singers to participate from around the South Puget Sound Region. Our singers have come from the areas of: Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Poulsbo, Seabeck, Key Peninsula, Kitsap County, Pierce County, King County and Mason County.
May 13th, 2017 - 5th Annual Spring Concert
May 27th, 2017 - Fort Worden Children's Choir Festival Concert