Children's Chorus - Youth Chorus - Select Ensemble
Now auditioning singers ages 5-22 for the spring portion of our 2013-14 Choir Season! Call or email for more information. Or drop in to any rehearsal during the month of February.
Spectrum Choral Academy is a select, graded choir program for children, teens and college age singers. Weekly rehearsals are held on Saturdays from Sep-June.
Weekly rehearsals include:
- Singing – from traditional folk tunes to choral classics and Broadway favorites, we work on quality choral repertoire learning how to sing a beautiful unison up to multi-part harmony.
- Movement – feel the music in your body. Students who make singing a whole body experience learn faster and retain what they learn.
- Music theory – our unique and specially designed "hands-on" music theory lessons get singers interacting with and retaining music comprehension skills instead of just completing worksheets.
- Instruments – create sounds and play rhythms using simple percussion instruments, drums and piano.
- Rhythm – learn how to keep a steady beat and play different rhythms.
- Vocal technique – discover how to use your voice in a healthy, enjoyable way.
- Friends and fun – connect with with other young people who also have a passion for music! Singers who are part of our program long-term develop life-long friendships.
Studies show that young people who sing in choirs...
- Do better in their school studies, especially math.
- Develop personal confidence and overcome shyness.
- Tend to be healthier and are sick less often.
- Acquire improved abilities to speak and enunciate more clearly.
- Have better posture and body alignment.
- Learn to breathe properly.
- Make lasting and wholesome friendships.
Why choose Spectrum? Our choral program is unique when compared to other youth vocal and instrumental programs around the country. Here are a few reasons why:
- Only ONE rehearsal day per week and ALL singers attend rehearsal on the same day. This makes it convenient for families with multiple singers, builds community and provides mentorship between our oldest and youngest singers. It also keeps your evenings free during the week.
- We keep tuition as low as possible and it includes everything - rehearsals, overnight festivals, summer camp, music purchase (yes - you keep your music!) and two t-shirts. This is unusual...with other choral programs you would pay separately for each of these items throughout the year, music would only be rental and your basic tuition would still be comparable to ours.
- The complete season's schedule is provided prior to registration. Only singers who can make the full commitment will be able to join. This will provide more consistency throughout the year - and help families with scheduling by knowing performance dates far in advance to make it a priority.
- Each of our four major performances takes place in an incredible concert venue. Singing in a variety of quality acoustics is a great educational experience in itself. We have already secured some of the finest regional venues.
- We have an unique, intigrated "Hands-On" music theory program that teaches through interactive and imitative musical activities. We get young singers reading and comprehending their printed music scores. Advanced students focus on sight-singing, ear training, challenging rhythms and even composition, if they choose.
- All singers will be auditioned (don't worry - it is a very fun and friendly audition). This will ensure the level of musicianship remains high. We want to provide the ideal, encouraging environment to support serious vocal students.
- We are completely community-based and have no religious affiliation. We sing quality choral music in a wide variety of styles and languages including ethnic, folk, sacred, secular, classical, Broadway and popular.
- Spectrum rehearsals and concerts are conveniently scheduled on weekends to allow singers to participate from around the South Puget Sound Region. Our singers have come from the areas of: Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Poulsbo, Seabeck, Key Peninsula, Kitsap County, Pierce County, King County and Mason County.
Spectrum Choral Academy offers three levels of vocal music instruction:
Grades K-5: Children's Chorus - Saturdays 10:00-11:30 AM
Includes 30 min Children's Chorus rehearsal, 30 min theory class, 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together).
Grades 6-12: Youth Chorus - Saturdays 9:00-11:30 AM
Includes 1 hour rehearsal w/Ensemble, 30 min music theory, 30 min Youth Chorus rehearsal, 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together).
Select Singers Grades 10-college: Vocal Performance Ensemble - Saturdays 9AM-Noon
Includes 1 hour rehearsal w/Youth Chorus, 60 min mentor jobs (theory teacher or rehearsal assistant), 30 min combined choirs rehearsal (all singers together), 30 min Ensemble rehearsal. Spectrum Vocal Performance Ensemble functions as our choir "ambassadors" - making additional appearances at notable functions around the region. Examples: caroling at Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker or singing the national anthem at Rainier's or Mariner's ballgames. Ensemble singers also receive additional instruction at special rehearsals or voice lessons thorughout the season as needed.
- Christmas Concert (all singers)
- Spring Concert (all singers)
- Fort Worden Children's Choir Festival (all singers)
- Youth Choir Festival Northwest (grades 6 and up)
- Northwest Choir Camps - Honor Choir Summer Camp (grades 6 and up)
Interested in joining? Complete our online form and we will contact you with more information!
PLEASE SEND ME MORE INFORMATION (click here)
2013-2014 Spectrum Concert Season:
Christmas Mystical & Magical
A Christmas celebration featuring all of our choirs singing holiday classics and popular favorites
Concludes with Silent Night being sung to candlelight.
Saturday, December 14, 2013, 3:00 PM
Kilworth Chapel, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
Tickets: $5 Tickets available at the door or by calling 360-271-8086
Spectrum Spring Concert: Ancient Cities and Distant Lands
Saturday, May 3, 2014, 3:00 PM
Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church, Gig Harbor, WA
Fort Worden Children's Choir Festival - Concert
Featuring all festival choirs performing individually and combined, grades K through age 20.
Saturday, May 24, 2014, 3:00 PM
McCurdy Pavilion, Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA
Tickets: $15 Adults, $12 Students/Seniors (Discovery Pass required for parking)
Youth Choir Festival Northwest - Concert
Featuring all festival choirs performing individually and combined, grades 6 through age 20.
Saturday, June 7, 2014, 3:00 PM
Eastvold Auditorium, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA
Tickets: $15 Adults, $12 Students/Seniors
2nd Annual Spectrum Summer Sing! Our choir day camp for kids in grades K-5.
Five fun mornings of vocal instruction and warm-ups, music theory and ear training classes, snacks, crafts, games and exciting theme dress-up days led my our expert music instructors. Camp concludes with a Family Concert on the final night at 7PM (everyone will come back dressed in their camp t-shirts ready to show their family and friends what we have learned during the week!).
July 21-25, 2014
9AM-Noon, M-F. Family Concert on the last day at 7:00 PM
Location: Harbor Covenant Church, 5601 Gustafson DR NW, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
Tuition: $95 per camper - includes all camp activities, daily snack, camp t-shirt, music binder and final camp concert!
Click here to register!
A week-long overnight camp for experienced singers entering grades 6-12.
Stephanie Charbonneau, Artistic Director
Stephanie is the Artistic Director for Spectrum Choral Academy - directing all three choir levels. She has extensive experience and training as a choir director of children and youth ages 5 to 20. She is also a trained Music Together® instructor (early childhood music program for newborns through age 5). She has proven herself a creative and inspirational teacher and choral conductor, with her students frequently becoming section leaders of their school choirs, participating in honor choirs, holding lead roles in musicals and going on to major in Music Education, Music Performance and Theater Arts in college. Stephanie has a passion for both directing choirs and developing choir-related programs.
Stephanie began studying piano and singing in choirs at the age of 3 and now has 20 years teaching experience. She is a 2002 graduate of Pacific Lutheran University with a Bachelor of Music degree in piano performance. She was the Founding Artistic Director of Cappella Choirs in Port Orchard, WA and served in that position for 10 years, from 1998 through 2008. Stephanie also served as Associate for Children's and Youth Choirs at First Presbyterian Church of Bellevue from 2004-2012. In that position, she directed Good News Group (grades 4-7) and accompanied Bel Canto (grades 8-12), while planning tours for Bel Canto to California and Costa Rica. Stephanie also maintained an active studio private piano and voice students from 1992-2012.
In 2007, Stephanie had thyroid surgery which inadvertently resulted in paralysis of her left vocal cord. An additional surgery was done to insert a prosthesis, allowing the paralyzed vocal cord to still function. Stephanie's voice continues to strengthen and she is excited to continue her work of inspiring young singers through music.
In addition to her work with choirs, Stephanie is studying Waldorf education and Dalcroze Eurhythmics while developing a unique, hands-on music theory program which is part of Spectrum Choral Academy. This program will soon be available to the public.
Stephanie is an active member of the American Choral Directors Association, the Dalcroze Society of America and MENC. Her choirs have toured to PICCFEST (Eugene, OR), the Pacific Rim Children's Chorus Festival (Honolulu, HI), the Manhattan Concert Productions Festival (Carnegie Hall - New York, NW) and multiple trips to California.
Stephanie and her husband Donald have over 12 years experience planning successful choir camps, festivals and tours. Together, they coordinate the Fort Worden Children's Choir Festival, Youth Choir Festival Northwest and Northwest Choir Camps. They live in Port Orchard, WA with their four musically talented children.
Donald Stojack, Accompanist & Music Theory Instructor
Donald is the Accompanist and Music Theory Instructor for Spectrum Choral Academy. He has 33 years of experience as a professional musician, choir director, and music teacher. He was the founding director of the Prestant Boys Chorus of Port Orchard and served as their director until 2008. He also served as the director of the Port Orchard Community Chorale from 1997 to 2003. Donald graduated in 1982 from Pacific Lutheran University with a Bachelor of Music degree in piano performance. He maintained a private teaching studio for piano and clarinet students from 1982-2012. Additionally, Donald served as accompanist and substitute choir director at First Presbyterian Church of Bellevue from 2006-2012.
In addition to his musical pursuits, Donald is Director of Client Services for Business Breakthroughs International with Chet Holmes and Tony Robbins. He has worked full time for Chet Holmes since 2008. In his current position, he provides business growth consulting for business owners and CEO’s worldwide.
Donald takes care of marketing and logistics for Spectrum, the Fort Worden Children’s Choir Festival, Youth Choir Festival Northwest and Northwest Choir Camps.
Looking for baby, toddler or preschool music classes?
Check out Music Together of Gig Harbor!
Looking for private voice lessons?
Check out Harbor Voice!